Now that we are officially into the New Year, it’s time to focus on what lies ahead for the Gaming Industry. JBK International would like to share the Top 10 Trends in Gaming that Casino industry researchers recently compiled to help industry leaders identify growth opportunities:
- Significant expansion opportunities are expected to arise as legislation is crafted in Brazil, India and Japan.
- Lotteries and casinos will both seek online opportunities — sometimes with competing efforts in the same states and countries, creating competitive challenges that legislators and regulators must sort out.
- Casinos will leverage their under-utilized square footage to create special attractions for Millennials, including lounges, entertainment, and skill-based gaming options.
- States will attempt to overcome stagnating gaming receipts by proposing new forms of, or locations for, gaming such as retail gaming (i.e., a limited number of electronic gaming devices in liquor-licensed establishments), satellite casinos, and slots at airports.
- Proponents of legalized sports betting — including the American Gaming Association, state associations and individual operators — will push their agenda more forcefully as state budgets continue to be strained, and as major sports leagues seek to capture a substantial new revenue stream.
- Macau will again become a growth story as gross gaming revenues continue to climb and new integrated resorts open. The mass market will dominate and VIP play will decline to less than 50 percent of GGR for the first time since Macau reverted back to China.
- The trend toward private management and, in some instances, private ownership of lotteries will accelerate in various countries and US states.
- State legislatures will face pressure to reduce gaming tax rates, as well as to amend or streamline regulations, in response to increasing competition and the potential for saturation in various markets.
- More casinos in Las Vegas and Atlantic City will stage eSports events and contests, while Atlantic City will attempt to reposition itself as an eSports hub.
- The South will be a focus of casino opportunities, as the potential for legalization and expansion is debated in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Louisiana.
These trends and other important issues will be examined during the Winter Meeting of the National Council of Legislators for Gaming States (NCLGS) later this week in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Source: Spectrum Gaming Group
JBK International specializes in identifying, evaluating and placing leadership and management talent in the hospitality industry, including Casinos, Hotel / Resorts and Gaming Manufacturing. Visit jbk-intl.com or 440-944-9800.